The first East Region Squad session for 2014 will be held at Brentwood on 12th January starting at 10am. Eligible gymnasts will be under 17 and qualified at Regional D, Nat C and Nat B using 2013 criteria, if you have such gymnasts please nominate them (with relevant details) by email to [antibot mailto=”[email protected]”] as soon as possible.
There will be a maximum of 24 places on the squad but if the number of applicants exceeds availability then an assessment process will take place during the first squad session. In order to identify the gymnasts most likely to obtain long term benefit from squad membership, the following squad criteria will be broadly applied.
- Evidence of previous engagement with the squad activities eg. Compliance with the testing procedures, recognisable technical changes made following squad sessions etc.
- Preference is likely to favour younger gymnasts who have a long term future within the squad.
- Evidence of personal coach engagement with the technical messages being delivered during previous squad training.
- Ability to demonstrate progress on attainment of ‘top’ within the execution of basic skills.
- Evidence of skill flexibility i.e. absence of apparent ‘hang-ups’ or move issues.
- Evidence of trampoline-related physical conditioning.
It must be stressed that these criteria will only be required if numbers of applicants exceed available spaces.
Open Invitation to coaches
Like last year, all coaches within the region, whether or not they have a gymnast on the squad, are invited to attend squad training as part of their continuing coach development. We hope there will a be a significant response to this invitation as one of the squad aims is to raise coaching standards in addition to the level of gymnast performance.
Jack Kelly & Paul Kitchen
Last Updated on December 4, 2013 by dave