At the Regional Development Squad on Sunday Jack Kelly introduced a range of drills intended to ensure that Back/Back and Back/Front somersault links are developed cleanly and to best technical ability, as Jack says:
These are the worksheets used at the last Eastern Squad and I hope they will be of continuing benefit to coaches. It was never envisaged that the whole list of drills would be completed during the squad session as there is no point on moving to the next drill before the previous one has been mastered. My advice is that these progressive lists are used during club training with the aim of focussing on one drill at a time and perhaps completing the programme over a period of months. I am only too well aware that there are many other things you have to work on but a ‘little and ofte’n approach to these drills can bring long term benefits to overall performance. Don’t hesitate to contact me if further clarification is needed.
These drills are repeated here.
Back to Back connection drills
- Back S/S Tucked (TB) to hit the ‘TOP’ followed by a straight jump which returns to the ‘TOP’
- TB as above followed by a straight jump which lands on seat.
- TB as above followed by a straight jump which lands on back– (mat if needed)
- As above followed by three balancing jumps then repeat. i.e. TB/straight/jump/jump/jump/TB times 3
- TB/jump/jump/TB repeat 3 times
- TB/jump/TB repeat 3 times
Quality control at each stage before progressing!
- TB/SB using SB as ‘over turned’ straight jump. Hitting the ‘TOP’ on the SB is essential.
(It’s ok to break form on the way down……High and slow is the way to go!)
Back to Front connection drills
- Back s/s (Free) followed by straight jump to hit the ‘TOP.’
- Back s/s followed by straight jump/balancing jump/front drop – all to hit the ‘TOP’(S) (Use mat!)
- Back s/s followed by straight jump/front drop (S) – hit the ‘TOP’ (Use mat!)
- Back s/s followed by front drop(S) to hit the ‘TOP’ (Use mat!)
- Back s/s followed by ¾ front (S) TOP ????
- Back s/s followed by barani (T) TOP and follow with a straight jump.
Quality control before moving on to the barani shapes and 1¾ front.
- Free choice of back to front combinations relating to own routines.
Please follow and like us: